Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Source!

I am still without consistent access to the world (aside from work...shhhh...) so I figured, instead of making you wait and suffer I'd talk about where I find my Japanese snacks.


My main haunt is "Asian Food Market" (creative, eh?) in North Plainfield NJ. It's the size of a regular super market and is filled with equally awesome as frightning foods.



When you're not there for Japanese snacks they have a wide array of delicious buns and fresh fish in tanks (don't worry- they chop off the head for you)



They really do have an extensive variety of snacks, drinks, ramen, spices, etc from Japan. A lot of their stock is from China, Vietnam, Thailand, and other various asian countries.





My not-as-common source is Mitsuwa in Edgwater, NJ. It's not nearly as close but it is 100% Japanese. This place is the be all end all for anyone interested in Japanese foods and products in America. When you first enter there is a small marketplace of food stalls and vendors. The other half is the supermarket. Outside of the main building there are a few stores including a Japanese bookstore, hobby shop and cosmetic store. The hobby shop (I don't know what else to call it...it's full of toys and housewares) has futons and things expressly unique to Japan.





This place is incredible and worth the trip on occasion. Nothing is better than eating authentic soba, overlooking Manhattan with a few melon pan in your shopping bag.




If anyone seems interested I will do a little more in-depth exploration of Mitsuwa in the future.



Hopefully, we'll be back on topic ASAP!


No comments:

Post a Comment