Saturday, November 5, 2011

Befco Bakauke Cheese Crackers

Aaanndd.....we're back! My heart leapt with joy and the sight of the light blinking on my router this morning.

I have seen the little characters of Befco's Bakauke crackers before but this is the first time I've picked them up. These crackers are called senbei, which are a Japanese rice cracker. I've had senbei before and I've never really like them- they are sort of flavorless and plastic-y and so I was interested in trying this popular brand to challenge my prejudice.

While there are many flavors of these crackers, I decided to stick with cheese to be safe. The package boasts there are five cheese flavors in the senbei including emmental (swiss), cheddar, gouda, camembert (lol...fancy..) and edam (I had to search for this one...the katakana says "edamu" and I was like o.O what is that?! apparently...it's something called edam which I've never heard of).

FYI...the little banana looking guys are senbei boyfriend and girlfriend Barin (girl) and Borin (boy). ALSO the back says Befco stands for Beika Frontier Company WOW (sorta reminds me of Nabisco...National Biscuit Company)



There are two senbei per package and 9 packages in the bag. They are packed nicely with a plastic tray which resulted in only a few packages being cracked. These beauties cost me $2.99 at Asian Food Market.



The designs on them are traditional-looking Barins and Borins in some Shinto-looking garb. They're actually kinda cool.

On the positive side...they are very low in calories for snack food, only 44.9 kcals per 2 cracker package. On the negative side...they still taste awful. There is still the plastic texture and flavor but with a emmental/gouda/cheddar/camembert/edam after flavor. Anyone want the rest? I think I will be tossing them...

No comments:

Post a Comment