Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Calbee Seaweed & Salt Potato Chips

こんにちは!

Potato chips are something I normally don't purchase. Not that I don't like them, but they're like french fries in that if they are around, I will consume them all at once. My husband actually picked this up at Mitsuwa and I was very proud since he picked a not very common flavor- seaweed & salt.


(If they seriously consider this bag "Mega" than I am sure the Japanese would be amazed/horrified since this is pretty much the size of the "grab bag" Lays at convenience stores)

I was a little concerned with all the english on the package (minus the kana which simply say potato chips and "norishio" or seaweed), the whole back was in English and it says 'imported from Hong Kong'. However, Calbee is indeed a Japanese company and you can even find their "Saya-endo" snow prea crisps in the salad topping section of most American supermarkets that I've been in.



I've had Calbee chips before and they are typically good if not remarkable. I can say the same for this flavor. It's good but I would have no idea it was seaweed if the package did not say so. Besides ingrediants such as "bonito flakes" and "powder cod roe", the most I got from it was a hint of that intangible umami sensation.

On a side note, one time, long before I consistently enjoyed Japanese snacks, I tried a Frito Lay concoction from Japan called R=Restricted. It's logo was a spy silhouette from what I recall. It was also the most amazing chip I've every had in my life. Ever. Simply it was like a Cheeto with wasabi powder rather than cheese-food but it was oh so much more- it was an epiphany. Since then I've searched everywhere for it but even the vast internet proves dry. If anyone ever comes across it, I will be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment