Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Misuzu Castella Cakes

こんにちは!

I love pastries. They are really one of my favorite things on the planet. If I could eat muffins, cakes, cinnamon buns, etc everyday I would be the happiest person alive...and probably very overweight...and have diabetes. My soft spot for these sort of things found me drooling over these very cool looking individually packaged doughnuts at Mitsuwa. I've NEVER seen them there or in Asian Food Market before and I was immediately smitten. They had retro font packaging and were..I'd sat about 3 inches in diameter. They were also about $6 for only a few doughnuts...and so I found these small (though not round) mini-cakes for $3.49. Yay!



This is like the best of many worlds, my friends. I've already described my enchantment with Japanese pastries in general. These are also small, adorable, and a great pastry to have with some tea/coffee without being high in calories or fat.



There are 4 servings in the pack with amounts to 5/6 cakes per serving. In total it's only 118 kcals! Cool!

The mini cakes are about 1.5 inches in diameter...so about a bite or two each. The cake is sweet and a little spongey and it covered by a nice crunchy layer of sprinkled sugar. They tasted very fresh despite being imported and consumed over the period of a week. I figured this would mean they are chocked full of preservatives (like Entamen's cakes) but the ingredient list is very short and there's not really anything crazy on it.

These are great...one day I may suck it up and buy the expensive doughnuts but for the price, these were a fantastic discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment