Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sanko Cheese Kibun Senbei

 こんばんはみんなさん!

I've finally gotten enough willpower mustered to try another senbei. Senbei are Japanese rice crackers that are, in my opinion, very plastic-y and flavorless. You can see my review of Befco's Bakauke cheese senbei here.


I don't exactly know what prompted me to purchase these Sanko senbei...fate, perhaps? I found them for $3.69 at Asian Food Market. They really are very good for you for a salty snack food....only 35 kcals for a pack of 2!


Now the name gets me...I'm absolutely NOT fluent in Japanese despite my years of study in college but by my calculations kibun means mood or feeling. I can only assume this product should be translated as Sanko's "cheese feeling" flavored senbei. Awesome.

 

They are packaged quite well, a couple of individual senbei were cracked but not many.

 

Now on to the taste...I don't know that I've completely overcome my distaste for senbei but these were not bad! The texture was crunchier than Befco's senbei but thinner, which resulted in a more satisfying chip-like feel (kibun maybe?). The cheese was your typical fake cheese flavor but not terrible. I'm not sure I'd purchase a whole bag again but these will certainly be a valid replacement for other salty snacks until they run out.

No comments:

Post a Comment