Monday, June 25, 2012

Sidenote: Marion Crepe

 こんばんは!

I had an awesome experience today! I went to Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ for my once or once every two months trip for lunch and treats. Aside from some delicious una-don (rice bowl with broiled eel), they had a special Marion Crepes booth! Mitsuwa often has a specialty booth set up and it varies depending on ...I don't know, maybe the month or something. Last month they had a booth showcasing sweet potato products from Hokkaido.

I've seen crepe trucks or booths in animes on occasion, and I've seen plenty of crepe stalls at American street fairs. However, the crepes I've had here look a lot different than the American ones....

(This is not my picture but was taken at the same exact booth at Mitsuwa in CA- my crepe looked the same minus the strawberries. See all the cool plastic crepes in the display?!)

The booth at Mitsuwa is an actual chain in Japan called Marion Crepes! They had 10 or 12 different varieties and a display case of the plastic versions so you know exactly what you are getting. Most were sweet and involved combinations of whipped cream, chocolate sauce, strawberries and bananas. A few were delightfully odd such as the tuna pizza crepe which seemed to be filled with canned tuna, cream cheese and lettuce.

(This was the paper cone...I did not have the camera with me at Mitsuwa- sorry!)




I opted for the whipped creme and chocolate sauce crepe, which was likely the most basic but totally worth it. The crepe was made fresh in front of me, rolled up into a paper cone and stuffed with not-too-sweet whipped creme and chocolate sauce. It was amazing. The crepe was warm and flavorful and was filled with the perfect amount of sweetness. For $5, I was floored. I would love too, but likely will not, drive the 45 minutes to Mitsuwa every day to try a different variety. This surprise cultural delight was an unexpected and incredible experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment