Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fujiya Puff in Chocolate

こんにちは!

This Japanese snack was one of those quick and cheap impulse grabs from Mitsuwa. At $.89, I didn't really care what was under the wrapper- the graphics are cute, it's Japanese, score. I actually figured it was a lollipop or hard candy of some sort based on past snacks.

 

The company who makes this snack is Fujiya. Their mascots are those unusual looking little retro kids. I've seen them make a ton of chocolate treats in the shape of their characters or Anpanman, etc. To be honest, I don't think I've ever had a snack by them so this was a worthy experiment.

The wrapping is great. The outer plastic protects the inner foil wrapper and chocolate. The foil is plastered with bright little images of their mascots and lets me know that the candy within is Puff in Chocolate. Now, that I knew it was chocolate, I assumed that inside the chocolate was marshmallow since other Japanese snacks use the term "puff" when it is marshmallow. This snack was full of false assumptions for me. The puff was actually krispy cereal bits.

 

Now, I have to be honest, I'm not sure if it was the candy or an off day for my taste buds but this candy tasted like chemicals. I'm talking about the serious kind I use at work in the housekeeping department of a hotel. I kind of waited a second and the milk chocolate flavor came through but I was too freaked and spit it out. 

I would consider trying Fujiya treats again, but maybe not for a little while. I'm hoping something got funky in transit and there were not actually chemicals in the chocolate.

2 comments:

  1. I love these things! Someone at my school gave one to me for lunch and I inhaled it. Very good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine tasted really weird lol, glad you had a good experience!

    ReplyDelete