Thursday, January 10, 2013

Calbee Satsumariko Sweet Potato

こんばんは!

During a lovely trip to Mitsuwa, I picked up a few more treats to review including this snack which initially reminded me of my childhood favorite- French's Potato Sticks. In essence, they were potato chips in a thin straw-like format, but to an 11 year old they were incredible. Calbee's satsumariko are similiar in the fact they are chips in the shape of fries, however, Calbee's version are of the sweet potato variety.


(Satsuma means sweet potato)


The packaging is adorable! I love the bright color and argyle patterns. It's sort of funky and got me excited to try the product. I've seen plenty of sweet potato flavored products (including a Pucca item!) and I find the way they display the potato interesting. It's always open at the top with a fluffy, mashed potato texture.



The little comic is puzzling. Granted, I can't read all of the kanji, but the gist is the crane is commenting on the beauty of the tree/branch/whatever and the bug is saying that it is expensive too.


The sweet potato sticks themselves are uninspiring. They are very very crunchy, almost too hard to chew. The initial flavor is bland, thought there is a hint of sweet potato in the after taste. Surprisingly, the first ingredient is actually sweet potato but it does not add as much impact as I had hoped. On to the next snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment