Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pucca Sweet Potato

おはよう!


Sorry for the delay! I actually cannot find my camera...for the time being I will be using relevant photos from other sites (with credit of course). Wish me luck on the camera hunt...

Pucca is a classic Japanese Snack. It was actually among my first forays into the genre, probably 8+ years ago. Pucca are little fish and sea creature shaped pretzels filled with some flavor of chocolate. I've only had the milk chocolate filled previous to this, and it's a good solid treat. I'm not as a crazy into pretzel and chocolate as much as the rest of the world seems to be, but I enjoyed them.


(From Kaboodle)

When I noticed this flavor was sweet potato, I knew I'd be giving them another try. The snack is packaged very well and similiar to other chocolate/cracker combos I've had. The cardboard box protects the treats in the foil pack and not a single one was broken. Granted, the packaging is a little over the top but I appreciate it.

The pretzel portion was a lot less pretzel-y than I remembered. While the basic texture and flavor was there, there was no salt. The "sweet potato" chocolate was extremely sweet. I almost didn't get a hint of the sweet potato itself, but it was there mildly. Since sweet potato is a weird flavor, I suppose I felt it tasted the same as really sweet pumpkin chocolate.

It was worth a shot and it did not bad, though unremarkable. The package was $2.49 at Mitsuwa. Speaking of Mitsuwa, I visited a few days ago and it must be sweet potato season in Japan or at least the store itself was into it. They had a big stall with all sorts of treats made from Shibuya sweet potatoes in addition to good sales on yams. Always interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment