Monday, January 23, 2012

Meiji Spicy Choco Stick Cinnamon & Black Pepper

おはよう!

Sorry for the delay folks! I was on a trip to Florida then had to rush back due some family health issues. All's well in the end...and I did get a chance to go to Mitsukoshi market in Disney's Epcot! Epcot's Japan pavilion is pretty incredible with it's meandering paths and recreated buildings, but Mitsukoshi takes the cake. It is an actual, and very old, department store chain in Japan. Cool stuff XD



So this week I tried Meiji's Spicy Choco Stick. There were a few varieties, though the other flavors escape me now...I thought the cinnamon and black pepper combo seemed the most appealing.



My favorite part of this packaging is that little red blurb that claims it goes well with alcohol. No lie, I did have these with a glass of wine but I don't know that it made a huge difference with the flavors.



This photo even shows serving it IN a glass of some sort of unnamed liquor. They really are going for the 21+ crowd with this, huh?

As for flavor, I'll admit I don't quite get this trend of spicy/savory/sweet combination. I've had chili chocolate before, bacon chocolate, sea salt chocolate etc etc but I'm never quite as impressed as I'd like to be. If I want chocolate, I want sweet chocolately chocolate. This falls into my "huh?" category as well. I didn't taste ANY cinnamon in the chocolate or biscuit. The cracked black pepper was VERY prevalent and was baked into the biscuit. It did take like fresh black pepper though, not wimpy stale pepper. My husband, who liked the chili and bacon chocolate, liked this as well.

I like the direction they are going in with the off kilter additions and mature flavor profile (and the suggestion to consume with alcohol ;) ) but I personally would not buy them again.

I should be back to regular updating now!

No comments:

Post a Comment