Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Meiji Black Chocolate

こんにちは!

I am a big fan of both Meiji and dark chocolate so I've been eying Meiji's Black Chocolate for quite some time. At $2.49 a bar, I kept passing it over but I finally decided to give it a whirl. I purchased this on my last trip to Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ.


The wrapping design is simple and appealing. It makes the chocolate seem adult (which is typical of dark chocolate products I suppose!). I will admit the simple paper and foil package itself is more reminiscent of American products that the typical over-packaged Japanese ones. I've come to appreciate the Japanese style packaging so I'm a bit disappointed!

 

I find it hard to describe chocolate as the nuances mean very specific things like when tasting wine. I'll do my best! Meiji's Black Chocolate is a low percentage dark chocolate. It has slightly bitter note but it is also very sweet, even sweeter than Hershey's Special Dark. The texture is waxy and smooth. It's not terrible dark chocolate but it is by no means impressive. This is probably the first Meiji brand snack I have not been head over heels about. Based on my past Meiji purchases, I will continue to try their products but I will probably not pick this one up again.

2 comments:

  1. You must get the dars dark chocolate. Omg. I ate like one package of it per night while in Japan. I came home and went to Mitsuwa and bought a couple more. I am savoring my last package. Anyway, it is so inexpensive and the texture And taste are great, imo. I am very impressed with it. I realize this is an old blog and perhaps you'll never see this comment. But I felt it a disservice if I did not tell you, since you're a fan of dark chocolate and japanese treats, like myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still get the (rare) comments and I really appreciate it! I've seen Dars at Mitsuwa and still go once every couple of months. I'll be sure to give it whirl. Thank you- you clearly have good taste ;)

      Delete